The Little Things

Today I awoke as usual and stumbled into the kitchen for my morning coffee. As I walked past my husband’s easy chair, I sleepily came to the realization that he was not sitting in it. He almost always awakes before me and he will sit quietly, sipping his coffee while patiently waiting for me to get my ass out of bed up. I naturally assumed he must be outside and thought no more of it. He’d be right back in, I thought. Then I noticed two of our dogs were not inside. I stepped out of the back door to take a look and one of the dogs was lying on the deck, but my husband’s dog, Freckle, was nowhere to be seen. I walked around to the front and then it hit me. My husband’s truck was not in the driveway!

What was going on?

I went back in and sat down wondering if I had forgotten something he may have told me. Did he have somewhere to go? But he always wakes me to say goodbye if I am still in bed. Hmm.

Next thing I know, I see him arrive home and park his truck in the driveway. Freckle jumps out, my husband follows, and what does he have in his hand but a bouquet of flowers! Not your average go-to-the-flower-shop-and-buy-already-dead-flowers-because-I-feel-obligated kind of bouquet. No! These were handpicked along our country road, growing wild in the ditches. He says they were from trees; we don’t exactly know what they are, but they smell nice and they sure look pretty!

And you wanna know what else? Today is our 26th wedding anniversary and this was his special gift!

You have to know me to know why I think this is so romantic. When we were living in the mountains in New Mexico, at a certain time of the year, wildflowers of all sizes, shapes and colors would bloom all around in the meadows. I could never get enough of gawking at them. I used to sit amongst them and just watch them blowing in the breezes. Peaceful, tranquil and beautiful! And ever since, no matter where we live, I still have to stop and gaze at any flowers growing wild or even weeds in bloom.

I remember the first time my husband gave me such a romantic surprise. It was very early in our relationship, and it was the usual time for him to be home from work, but he had not yet arrived. We had no phone then and all I could do was wait. A half hour later, he walked in the door and handed me the most beautiful bouquet of wildflowers I had ever seen - because he had just picked them for me, of course. He had stopped on his way home to do this!

Over the years, he will surprise me from time to time. He may just be driving along and happen to notice wildflowers growing in a ditch somewhere, and he will stop and pick a few. This little act of thoughtfulness means so much to me. Today, when I realized he was not at home, I hadn’t had a clue that he was out gathering flowers for me. I was so touched, I just had to share! Thanks for reading.

What are the little things that make you go all warm and fuzzy?
----------------------------------

Happy Anniversary, Sweetheart!